As you are undoubtedly aware, the stage 4 date for the government’s Covid-19 roadmap has been extended to Monday 19th July. Therefore, the planned meeting of the Parish Council on Monday 5th July will also need to be postponed. The new meeting date will be published once the official stage 4 date has been confirmed by central government.
The village of Hilton benefits from land and assets endowed over the centuries. The most recent definition of the charities was confirmed by a Deed dated 1899. We operate two Charities. The land and assets are held by the Estate Charity, the senior charity of the two.
The 1899 deed requires that half of the annual income of the Estate Charity goes to the Parish Church to be used for repairs to the building; the other half is paid to the second charity, the Town Charity to be spent for the general benefit of the village.
Both the Estate and Town Charities are administered by the Trustees and are chaired by the Revd David Busk.
The Parish Council appoints two trustees and the Church Wardens are usually the other two trustees. The Parish Council appointed trustees each serve for a 4 year term, with the appointments being offset by two years to ensure continuity.
While the Trustees have no specific mandate, a mix of grants are made under the general terms of the Deed including capital grants, educational grants, grants to charities or organisations directly serving the needs of Hilton.
Role of Parish Council Appointed Trustee
– To serve for a term of 4 years, from July 2021.
– To attend the Trustee meetings, routinely twice per annum.
– To promptly liaise with the other Trustees & Clerk on any business arising between meetings. (In practise most grant awards are made between meetings, usually by email to reach a consensus.)
– To have a broad awareness of the community in Hilton & to encourage individuals and groups who may benefit from a grant award.
– To ensure fiscal responsibility is maintained for the long term continuation of the charities.
For any further information about the role contact Rev David Busk on 436400 or Phil Wood (Clerk to the Town Trust) on 830866
If you are interested please contact Nicola Webster, Clerk to Hilton Parish Council— by the deadline of Saturday 26th June.
Contact the Council
If you would like to contact Hilton Parish Council please use the form or e-mail the Clerk at: You can also telephone; 01480 830605